|1844 Patent. Click above|
to see larger copy.
WILLIAM R VAN NATTAN, DIES; HERE 41 YEARS
William R. Van Nattan, who was employed by the Colorado Springs and Interurban Railway company from 1900, when he came to Colorado Springs, until the street car company went out of business, died Sunday at his home, 11 E. Ramona St. He was born in Springfield, Ill., September 18, 1865. Mr. Van Nattan leaves his widow, Mrs. Ocie Van Nattan; a daughter, Mrs. Marihelen Curtis, and granddaughter, Shirley Ann Curtis, all of Colorado Springs; a brother, John T. Van Nattan, Colorado Springs; two nephews, Charles Van Nattan, Colorado Springs, and Burlie Van Nattan, Denver. A brother, Simeon Van Nattan, died last spring and a sister, Miss Mattie Van Nattan, died in 1936. Funeral arrangements will be announced later by the Swan Funeral home.
JOHN T. VAN NATTAN DIES AT RESIDENCE
John Thomas Van Nattan, 74, a resident of Colorado Springs for 38 years, died at his home, 1418 S. Tejon St., Thursday night. He had been ill for a year. Mr. Van Nattan was a brother of William Van Nattan, who died in Colorado Springs a month ago. He was employed as a motorman by the old Colorado Springs & Interurban Railway company and was a member of the Primitive Baptist church. He leaves his widow, Mrs. Forest Van Nattan; two nephews, Assistant Chief Charles E. Van Nattan of the Colorado Springs fire department and Verlie Van Nattan, Denver; a niece, Mrs. Mary Helen Van Nattan Mariheler, of this city. The Swan funeral home has charge of the funeral arrangements.
David L. Fulkerson, an early settler, was born in Ohio, September 23, 1820, son of Samuel and Lydia Fulkerson. He lived in his native state until 1842, when he came with his father to Indiana in search of land. In 1846 he bought eighty acres of wood-land, the site of their present comfortable home which his industry has created. He first built a log cabin, and moved in his furniture, one bedstead and two or three chairs. The money with which he bought land he earned by day's labor. In 1854 he was married to Mary Mosier, born in 1831, and they had six children, five now living: Adell, Samuel, Ella, Clara and Matilda. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which he was class leader about six years. He served two terms as one of the three township trustees in early days, was afterward elected trustee under the present system, and justice of the peace at different times, but declined both offices. He helped to cut the road through his farm know as the Fort Wayne & Leo road. He is a worthy and esteemed citizen.
Fort Wayne Water Head Dies at 85
Paul G. Fulkerson, 85, of Fort Wayne died Thursday in The Towne House. The Fort Wayne native retired in 1977 as superintendent of the Fort Wayne Water Filtration Plant after 42 years there. He was superintendent for 14 years. He began working at the new plant in 1935, and became chief chemist and assistant superintendent in 1943. In 1951 he was instrumental in Fort Wayne being the first city in Indiana to add fluoride to the city water supply, and was considered an authority on surface water supply softening. He presented many papers on the subject. In 1964 the American Chemical Society named him Northeast Indiana Chemist of the Year, and in 1967 the Fort Wayne Engineers' Club awarded him Citizen-Engineer. He was a member of the American Water Works Association, American Society of Corrosion Engineers, American Public Works Association and the Allen County Regional Sewer District. He also was a member of Forest Park United Methodist Church, Rotary Club, SCORE, Men's Garden Club and Fort Wayne Executives' Club, and formerly involved in Parent Teachers Association, and Cub and Boy Scouts activities. His wife, Arlene W., died in 1992. Surviving are sons, Dale E. and Daniel F., both of Fort Wayne; a sister, Bernice Popp of Fort Wayne, and four grandchildren. Services are 11 a.m. Saturday in D. O. McComb & Sons Lakeside Park Funeral Home, 1140 Lake Ave., where calling is 2 to 5 and 7 to 9 p.m. today. Burial will be in Lindenwood Cemetery. Memorials are to the church.
|Please e-mail if you have any information that may assist this Unattached Branch in locating additional ancestors and family members.|